Did you know we opened our first branch on July 15, 1912? Now, 100 years on, in a lasting celebration of our centenary year, more than 1000 of our branches across Australia gave a gift of health and wellbeing to their local community. It’s our way of celebrating 100 years together!
From July 2012, local organisations around the country have been receiving their gifts in special centenary presentations. Here is a glimpse of some of the gifts – just to name a few:
- Bellingen (NSW) branch, purchased tools for the Bellingen Men’s Shed
- London Circuit & Ainslie Avenue (ACT) branch, gave a guitar and sports equipment to the Canberra Refuge Centre
- Gisborne, Melton and Sunbury (VIC) branches, bought a defibrillator for local school, Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- Oatlands (TAS) branch, purchased new lifeguard equipment, including kick boards and noodle swim aids for Oatlands Community Swimming Pool
- Whyalla (SA) branch, gave new bikes and helmets to Whyalla Road Safety Centre
- Katherine (NT) branch, bought equipment for an annual Katherine Scouts camping trip
- Miami (WA) branch, gave garden equipment and tools to the City of Mandurah Community Garden
And of the hundreds of amazing stories that we’ve heard, there are a couple we thought we’d share with you in a bit more detail. Check out the snapshots below.
Meals on Wheels snapshot
Our branches in Northern Brisbane collectively identified Meals on Wheels as an organisation with a particular need in their local area. With 53,000 recipients in cities, regional and rural areas across Australia, Meals on Wheels provides more than just a meal. Volunteers also provide a friendly face, a bit of conversation and a quick check on the person’s wellbeing.
Meals on Wheels Northern Brisbane, recently received a brand new Mazda 3 as a gift from 22 of our surrounding branches. The car was handed over in an emotionally-charged presentation, much to the delight of the senior Meals on Wheels staff in attendance on the day, including Queensland Meals on Wheels President, Don Wikner.
Tamworth Hospital snapshot
Down south, the excitement was shared in the children’s ward of Tamworth Hospital after they received a special delivery of Apple iPads, a thermometer, as well as various games and craft activities thanks to our Tamworth and West Tamworth branches. The children’s ward provides special treatment, care and assistance to children in the region and the iPad’s will provide a fun distraction for kids undergoing treatment for a range of serious illnesses.
Ideas that make a difference
We asked our people to put forward suggestions on how they could make a difference within their local community to help mark our centenary year. We received some fantastic ideas. After much deliberation, a total of ten ideas were chosen, with giving gifts of health and wellbeing, being the final idea that we turned into a reality.
Want to know more?
For more information about our centenary celebrations or a look back at our remarkable history just visit 100yearstogether.com.au